One of the most powerful indicators of program effectiveness comes from intern providers and employers. Informal employer responses have been consistently positive and are impressed by the technological competence of the students especially as compared to interns from other schools. Many companies or municipalities hire numerous students from Gainesville State College and generally seek out GSC interns first before going elsewhere. Two internship positions are held specifically for Gainesville State College students.
During spring of 2002, student and employer surveys were implemented as part of the official internship process. Students as well as employers rate the internship experience. Employers evaluate student performance and competency and are asked for suggestions on how to better prepare students for their working environment. Results from these surveys allow the GIS curriculum to be better tuned to the job market.
- Each intern must work a minimum of ten hours per week for a duration of fifteen weeks (or the hourly equivalent) to receive credit. Interns are encouraged to work more hours.
- Each intern shall produce a timesheet of work completed, signed by their direct supervisor.
- Interns are generally paid, although this is not a requirement. Negotiations should be made between the intern and the internship granting organization.
- Interns are required to utilize GIS in a real-world setting, preferably working closely with others on current GIS projects.
- Interns should not be allowed to performed redundant tasks for the duration of the internship. Where appropriate, they should be allowed to progress to more rigorous tasks as skills are developed and familiarity with projects increases. This will be evaluated through periodic reports from the student.
- Interns are allowed to utilize Gainesville State College GIS laboratory and their instructor during the course of the internship.
Please complete the form below to let us know a little about your needs. Again, the requirements for the interns are listed below for your convenience.
Post New Internship
Consult a GIS advisor about an internship position the semester before taking the internship course.
Previous Student Internships:
- U.S. Forest Service
- Georgia Transmission Corporation
- City of Gainesville Public Utilities
- Jordan, Jones, and Goulding
- Gwinnett County Public Utilities
- GTI Technologies
- Gainesville State College
- Gwinnett County
- White County
- Jackson County
- Georgia Mountains Regional Development Center
- City of FLowery Branch
- PhotoScience, Inc.
- UGA Information Technology Outreach Services
- Keck and Wood, Inc.
- Madison County Planning and Zoning
- Madison County E/911
- Jackson County Tax Assessor's Office