Description of STEM Scholarship
STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. It is the acronym for a scholarship program funded through the GSC Foundation. The STEM scholarship provides financial aid to qualifying science majors. The scholarship provides funds for tuition and fees.
Rationale for STEM Scholarship
Science majors face a difficult and challenging journey as they advance through their courses. It is tough to maintain a HOPE-eligible GPA. As a result, some science majors lose their HOPE scholarship or switch majors to avoid doing so. GSC recognizes this problem and set up a special fund to help hard-working and dedicated science majors who do not benefit from HOPE.
The STEM scholarship is one of many efforts around the nation to recruit and retain students interested in pursuing careers in science and mathematics.
1. Entering freshman or a currently enrolled student at GSC with a science, engineering, or math major who does not receive the HOPE scholarship.
2. Good academic standing with a cumulative GPA at or above 2.5 in college or high school.
3. One of the following declared majors: agriculture, biological science, chemistry, engineering and engineering technology, environmental health, forestry resources, geology, physical geography, physics, mathematics, and computer science.
4. Brief statement from student stating their future career goals.
5. Letter of recommendation from a science or math teacher.
Application forms are available from the Science Division office at GSC. Send completed application form, transcripts, student statement about future career goals, and a letter of recommendation from a teacher to
STEM Scholarship Committee
c/o Dr. Alla Baloueva
Gainesville State College
P.O. Box 1358
Gainesville, GA 30503
Application Deadline for the Fall semester is due by March 21