The SSC is closed when classes are not in session (i.e. holidays, spring break week, and Sat/Sun).
12pm-1pm (Mon-Thur) - Gainesville Campus
12pm-1pm (Mon-Thur) - Oconee Campus
- Gainesville Campus - Watkins Building (formerly Academic 3) - Room 181
- Oconee Campus - Room 207 (in OC1)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (in-person preferred)
What To Bring
- Your laptop and power cord.
- Your GSC ID - you must be currently enrolled in classes at GSC.
- If you want Microsoft Windows installed, please copy your files off your laptop in advance.
- You will be asked to read and fill out a SSC Service Ticket.
What Do I Get for FREE
You are entitled to one copy of Microsoft Office 2010 Professional (includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, Publisher, Access) or Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 (includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook). You are also entitled to one copy of Microsoft Window 7 Professional 32-bit.
Rules & Guidelines:
- The SSC supports Student laptops only, not faculty and staff laptops.
- The SSC supports Laptops only, not desktops.
- All students are responsible for presenting a Valid GSC Student ID upon bringing in their laptop.
- The student is responsible for bringing the laptop power cord with them at the time of drop-off.
- The student is responsible for backing up all data on the laptop before drop-off.
- The SSC does not fix hardware problems.
- If your laptop is not compatible with your choice of software, it will not be installed.
- If the pre-install diagnostic uncovers a hardware problem, the SSC will not continue with installation of software.
- If the laptop already has Windows 7 64-bit installed, the student is only eligible for the Microsoft Office 2010.
- The student is responsible for installing drivers for peripheral devices (e.g. printers, scanners, etc.).
- Please allow a 10 – 15 minute processing time when you bring in your laptop. This enables us to get necessary information from you about the laptop as well as allowing us time to run the Windows 7 Upgrade Analyzer to ensure your laptop can run Windows 7.
If you choose to have Windows 7 installed on your laptop, the install will remove your Recovery Partition and any proprietary software that may have come pre-installed by the manufacturer on your laptop.
- Who is eligible for the software?
- All students who are currently enrolled in classes
- What does the SSC do for me?
- The SSC will install Microsoft Windows 7 (32bit), Microsoft Office 2010 and Microsoft Office for Mac on your laptop.
How do I contact the SSC?
- You can contact the SSC in person or by sending an email to email@example.com
Can I bring in my home computer?
- No, the SSC only services student laptops.
Why can’t the SCC just give me the software on a disk for me to install?
- Legally, our contract with Microsoft does not allow us to do this.
What is the turn-around time to get the software installed on my laptop?
- Currently our turn-around time is 48 hours.
Why can’t the Help Desk install the software for me?
- Our Help Desk does not have the facilities to safely secure laptops nor do they have the time to dedicate to software installs on top of their current responsibilities.
Gainesville Campus - Watkins Building (formerly Academic 3) - Room 181
- Mon 12-1pm: Justin Ward
- Tues 12-1pm: Wally Beck
- Wed 12-1pm: Melanie Allen
- Thur 12-1pm: Jack Whidden
Oconee Campus - Room 207 (in OC1)
- Mon 12-1pm: Lee Williams
- Tues 12-1pm:
- Wed 12-1pm: Lee Williams
- Thur 12-1pm: