Adult learners who graduated from high school (or whose graduating class completed high school) five or more years ago and have not previously been enrolled in a college or university are classified as non-traditional freshmen. Individuals who have previously been enrolled in a college or university should meet the admission requirements for transfer students.
Students classified as non-traditional freshmen must meet the following admission requirements:
- Be a graduate of a state or regionally accredited high school
- Have satisfied requirements for the General Educational Development (GED) diploma
- Have met the minimum COMPASS exam requirements
Adult learners applying to Gainesville State College for the fall 2012 semester and beyond will be required to meet minimum scores on the COMPASS exam prior to admission. The COMPASS Exam is comprised of three sections: reading, English, and mathematics. In addition to determining admission eligibility, the exam screens students for possible remediation provided through Learning Support courses once students are admitted into the College.
The COMPASS is an untimed, computer-based exam that is offered on both the Gainesville and Oconee campuses and is administered at no charge to the student. Since the exam is used for admission purposes, applicants are encouraged to take online practice exams as a means of preparation and/or register to attend a COMPASS Placement Prep Workshop offered by the Office of Academic Enrichment.
The enrollment process consists of the following steps:
- Complete the application for admission by the specified deadline for the desired semester of enrollment
- Apply for Financial Aid
- Register for and take the COMPASS Exam
- Submit official transcripts. Documents are considered official when they arrive in the Admissions Office in a sealed envelope from the issuing institution. Opened transcripts cannot be used for admission into Gainesville State College. To obtain a high school transcript, contact the high school or the Board of Education in the country where the high school is located. Students who earned a GED in the state of Georgia should request a copy from the Technical College System of Georgia. Individuals who completed the GED in another state should click here to locate the testing center.
- Submit Immunization form. This document must be received prior to registration.
- Register for and attend a SOAR (Student Orientation Advisement & Registration) session.