Student Success in the Classroom
The Center for Teaching Learning and Leadership in Dunlap Mathis has an extensive resource library, and books that are available to loan.
Here are some selected books/highlights from the library that are specific to college success and active learning.
- Classroom Assessment Techniques: A Handbook for College Teachers, 2nd Edition
Thomas A. Angelo, K. Patricia Cross
- Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lectern by Constance Staley
- Teaching Unprepared Students: Strategies for Promoting Success and Retention in Higher Education by Kathleen F. Gabriel Summary!
- Creativity in Education and Learning: A Guide for Teachers and Educators by Arthur J. Cropley
- Learner-Centered Teaching: Five Key Changes to Practice by Maryellen Weimer
- The Psychology of Writing: The Affective Experience by Alice Glarden Brand
- The Graphic Syllabus and the Outcomes Map: Communicating Your Course by Linda B. Nilson
Student Success, Retention, and the First-Year of College
The GSC Library houses the following books
- Leaving College: Rethinking the Causes and Cures of Student Attrition / Vincent Tinto
- Community College Missions in the 21st Century: New Directions for Community Colleges
- How College Affects Students: A Third Decade of Research by Ernest Pascarella and Patrick T. Terenzini
- Helping college students find purpose : the campus guide to meaning-making / Robert J. Nash, Michele C. Murray.
What matters in college? : four critical years revisited / Alexander W. Astin.
- Helping sophomores succeed : understanding and improving the second-year experience/Mary Stuart Hunter ... [et al.].
- Millennials go to college : strategies for a new generation on campus : recruiting and admissions, campus life, and the classroom / by Neil Howe & William Strauss.
- Humanity Diversity and the Liberal Arts Foundation of a College Education.
- Contemplative Teaching and Learning New Directions for Community Colleges Issue 151, Fall 2010.
- Student engagement techniques : a handbook for college faculty / Elizabeth F. Barkley.
- Teaching first-year college students / Bette LaSere Erickson, Calvin B. Peters, Diane Weltner Strommer.
- Learning communities : reforming undergraduate education / Barbara Leigh Smith ... [et al.].
- Fostering student success in the campus community / Gary L. Kramer and Associates.
- ASHE reader on college student development theory / edited by Maureen E. Wilson & Lisa E. Wolf-Wendel.
- Serving the millennial generation / Michael D. Coomes, Robert DeBard, editors.
- Achieving and sustaining institutional excellence for the first-year of college / Betsy O. Barefoot ... [et al.].
- College student retention : formula for student success / edited by Alan Seidman ; foreword by Vincent Tinto.
Access Without Support Is Not Opportunity
Exploring the Landscape - Report on Learning Outcomes
Good Practice for Assessing Student Learning
High Impact Practices
Rethinking the First Year: Taking Student Retention Seriously
Student Success and Involving Educational Experiences
Student Success and the Construction of Inclusive Educational Communities
What Faculty Members Can Do