The First Year Experience (FYE)
On behalf of the office of First Year Experience (FYE), welcome to Gainesville State College. The first year of college is one of excitement, challenges, and changes. Gainesville State College places special emphasis on the First Year Experience (FYE) and strives to provide new students with a variety of academic and social experiences.
The main goals of the Office of First Year Experience are:
- To increase first year student retention and success.
- To provide first year students with resources and information critical to their transition to GSC.
- To prepare students for their sophomore year and beyond.
- To align FYE with High Impact Practices (HIPs).
The First-Year Experience (FYE) program at Gainesville State College will introduce students to the rigors of academic success in college. The intent is to foster student-centered pedagogy and creative inquiry through the use of curriculum integrated High Impact Practices (HIPs) and co-curricular involvement.
To this end, Gainesville State College espouses the following:
- Prepare first-year students for academic success beginning with a strong foundation
- Integrate first-year students into the intellectual, cultural and social environment of the institution and surrounding community
- Assist first-year students in the examination of their personal motivation for pursuing higher education
- Encourage students to become responsible lifelong-learners
- Training and development of faculty to integrate selected High Impact Practices into classrooms
Want you to be successful here at Gainesville State College, and we will do everything to we can to help you experience success from the first year and beyond. We are excited you are joining the GSC community and hope that you will get the most out of your experience.
For more information please contact:
Abdul R. Roux
Director, First Year Experience
Academic IV 2108